Sunday, October 25, 2009

Georgia O'Keeffe



Georgia O’Keeffe is best known for being the artist who established a relationship between the American modern movement and the pioneering European art. Over the years it was not her work or her artistic abilities that received attention, but her unique personality. Over time, O’Keeffe realized her impact on American Art as her images became icons of her time. O’Keeffe’s work corresponds with determinants, the things or events allowing her to be imaginative, and what provoked her soul to create. Without a doubt, her work is memorable due to the fact that each image produced by the artist remains in our eyes.

Over the six decades O’Keeffe became an iconic American artist, she was also her hardest critic. Throughout her career she was demanding and expected perfection, just as others did. Often, O’Keeffe would “grade” her work and begin to edit the piece as she desired nothing more than the success of perfection. In addition, often times she would destroy new and old work if they had failed to satisfy her. Ultimately, O’Keeffe’s work does not only reflect her time, but aspects of contemporary aspects with significant inspiration from the environment. The qualities present in her paintings are ultimately the fundamentals of what art has become and also the future of the art world.

Quotes from Georgia O'Keeffe

"I often painted fragments of things because it seemed to make my statement as well as or better than the whole could."

"I said to myself, I have things in my head that are not like what anyone has taught me - shapes and ideas so near to me - so natural to my way of being and thinking that it hasn't occurred to me to put them down."

"I've been absolutely terrified every moment of my life - and I've never let it keep me from doing a single thing I wanted to do."

"Marks on paper are free - free speech - press - pictures all go together I suppose."

"I hate flowers - I paint them because they're cheaper than models and they don't move."

No comments:

Post a Comment