Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Roy Lichtenstein


Enrolling into the Art Students’ League in the late 1930’s, and also studying at Ohio State College, Roy Lichtenstein discovered both his talents in art, but the techniques necessary in achieving his style. Although an artist, Lichtenstein also was in the military for roughly three years, but upon returning he settled down in Ohio teaching. Also, he taught at New York State and Rutgers Universities. Still paying attention to his art, Lichtenstein began to put his pieces in exhibits and the majority pieces he showed were inspired by our country’s history. One main art style Lichtenstein focused on was Cubism, but then went into the field of Abstract Expressionism. During his time teaching at Rutger’s, Lichtenstein met Allan Kaprow, who introduced him to art within the consumer market. Starting in the early 1960’s Lichtenstein entered the era as a Pop Artist, also referred to as someone who paints images with strikingly bright color. Unlike Andy Warhol, Lichtenstein produced comic books and infused his unique style and statement within each and every piece. Truthfully both icons of Pop Art, Andy Warhol and Roy Lichtenstein both have their signature style, but Lichtenstein more commonly is known for his screening of dots and sharp lines.

Quotes from Lichtenstein:

"Art doesn't transform. It just plain forms."

"I kind of do the drawing with the painting in mind, but it's very hard to guess at a size or a color and all the colors around it and what it will really look like."

"I like to pretend that my art has nothing to do with me."

"I think we're much smarter than we were. Everybody knows that abstract art can be art, and most people know that they may not like it, even if they understand there's another purpose to it."

"Pop Art looks out into the world. It doesn't look like a painting of something, it looks like the thing itself."

"Personally, I feel that in my own work I wanted to look programmed or impersonal but I don't really believe I am being impersonal when I do it. And I don't think you could do this."

"I think that most people think painters are kind of ridiculous, you know?"

"You know, as you compose music, you're just off in your own world. You have no idea where reality is, so to have an idea of what people think is pretty hard."

No comments:

Post a Comment